Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Linen swan pillowcase makeover

At an estate sale last Thurs., I picked up this precious but stained infant sized linen pillowcase.  What attracted me to it was that it had a beautiful embroidered white on white swan on the trim.  Immediately, I thought back to our days in Boston riding on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden.  I snatched up the pillowcase along with various other doilies(for a table runner) and rushed to Walmart for some calico fabric.



I rushed home, washed both the pillowcase and calico fabric.  When dried, I cut the trim off the pillowcase.  I wasn't sure how large to make the new pillowcase, so I just sewed the two pieces together and this is what it looked like.


                                             
                                            And the back of the piece looked like this.

                           
                                  I folded the piece in half, and sewed the two seams.

I wanted to catch some of the design from the original pillowcase.  Here is a close up after it was sewn.



Here is the completed pillowcase.  I put it in my guest room.  I love the way it coordinates with the  French toile fabric of the comforter.

No comments:

Post a Comment