Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mosaic Hanging Cross

I was in Walmart a few weeks ago and found these almost 5 inch resin crosses in the stationary section.


They came in two different styles complete with a hanger on the back.  I knew this was the perfect venue to mosaic once again. 


Before priming and spray painting with white applicance spray paint, I removed the faux pearls that were adhered to the crosses.


I believe that the crosses with the removed pearl will be the easiest ones to mosaic.  We'll see how it goes......

The next step was arranging the mosaics on the cross.


Then, I taped off the edges so I wouldn't put any of the tile adhesive on the border.


Once the adhesive was troweled onto each piece, the crosses looked like this.  Then, let dry for 24 hours.


                                                         
                                       Next, came the grout and it needed to dry overnight also.  Here is a                                                     picture of the back with the hanger.




My daughters got in on the act.  Everyone can make their own design.  I thought the crosses with the pearls would turn out better, but I was wrong.  I like the one with the draped cloth better.

                     The nice thing about this project, you can hang it or stand it up in a setting.


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment