Monday, April 9, 2012

Vintage sewing drawers to remote keepers



What does one do when they have vintage sewing machine drawers laying around?  I had the idea to make holders for tv remotes.  I don't like the clutter of the 4 different remotes in the living room. The drawer was a perfect answer.

The first step was stripping and sanding the drawer.  Before painting the drawer, I applied a coat of spackle to crack the top coat.  The last step was painting it with acrylic white paint.

 Now the challenge was to find a way to make cost effective knobs.  I looked on line and the porcelain hand painted cost up to $25.00.  I didn't want to spend that kind of money.  I found these plain wooden ones at Home Depot for about .59 a piece.  Quite a savings!

So, I began searching for ideas.
Here are some of the ones I liked from the Internet.







But, nothing really caught my eye.  Since I wanted to do a Blue Willow look, I pulled one of my Blue Willow plates out. 



I started sketching on a sheet of paper.  This is what I came up with.  It is a very rough version, but works fine with the blue white theme I have going on in the Great Room.

                                       To completely change the look, I tried to do a pink graphic.




Now the remotes have a home and I feel that I had conquered the clutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment